Extend to a Practitioner of Pregnancy Massage
This course offers in-depth insight into how to support women through pregnancy and beyond.
We will review in great detail specific conditions, including high-risk pregnancies, and the implication of massage. Our focus is to support all women and reduce the more complex discomforts experienced in pregnancy.
We will develop your awareness of the benefits of massage through the perinatal journey from pre-conception to pregnancy to labour and birth and onto postnatal support.
During the course you gain a greater insight into the the complex body and system changes happening through pregnancy, labour and postnatally.
We will explore your own emotive feelings towards pregnancy, labour and beyond so you can apply practical tools to support all clients with empathy and understanding. You will explore your own self-development as a pregnancy massage specialist.
By the end of the course you will have developed the confidence and knowledge needed to treat pregnant women throughout their journey into motherhood and beyond.
You will also have the opportunity to become part of the NurtureLife® network including the support of our mentoring program (learn more about this on our website) and have a team of practitioners around you to support you and refer clients to if required.
Download the Brochure
MidPlus 14 points
AAMT 20 points
AMT 60 points
ATMS 16 Points
MAA 20 points
The Practitioner of Pregnancy Massage course will advance your massage knowledge and skills, including developing further your understanding of the many complex presentations of pregnancy. We will review in detail high-risk conditions unique to pregnancy and how to treat each of these conditions through each trimester.
We will consolidate your understanding of the anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, particularly in relation to complex musculoskeletal changes unique to pregnancy. You will learn how to apply orthopaedic assessment and the adaption of these skills through each trimester to determine an appropriate treatment plan.
You will learn how to adapt your treatment plans to suit the individual needs of your clients through massage, gentle breath, stretching and visualisations unique to pregnancy.
You will explore massage techniques for use in labour, active partner training, and postnatal massage so you can create a unique NurtureLife® experience for your clients.
We will explore complex pregnancy conditions and understand the complexities of high risk clients – what is contraindicated for massage? We will also be learning how we can offer emotional support and reduce the many
stresses of pregnancy.
We will explore in detail:
- The more complex conditions unique to pregnancy
- How to support a mother and family unit after a loss
- How to develop a referral network of specialists in perinatal care and women’s health
- Orthopedic assessments unique for pregnancy
How to treat and reduce the pain patterns associated with:
- Pelvic Girdle Instability (PGI) this is a complex and debilitating condition common in pregnancy
- Pubic Symphysis Pubis Instability/diastasis (PSD or PSI)
- Pregnancy ligamentous pain, how to recognise the ligament pain patterns and massage treatment
- How to support changes through the spine and imbalances associated with lower back pain including treatment of sacroiliac joint pain gluteal muscle release, piriformis release, psoas release unique for pregnancy
and lumbar lordosis release
- How to ease the symptoms of restless leg syndrome, leg and calf cramping, and reduction of oedema in the legs.
We will take a detailed look at:
- The changes to the thoracic spine, shoulder, ribs, arms and abdomen
- Complex shoulder treatment including thoracic spine, shoulder mobilisations to improve posture, function and movement. We will apply massage applications to improve posture for mums still working and/or breast-feeding. You will learn techniques to reduce client pain and discomfort
- How to assess for carpel tunnel and oedema of the arms. You will learn treatment protocols for assessment and management of carpel tunnel and oedema of the arms
- Assessment of neck movement and gentle application of massage techniques to reduce pain and improve movement patterns
- Gentle application of rib release and respiratory releases to ease the shortness of breathe common in pregnancy
- How to apply an abdominal massage to support diastasis recti and digestive system changes
- How to create a unique mother-baby connection
You will have the opportunity to combine all you have learnt and apply it to a pregnant client – you will experience first hand the benefits of the many new techniques you have learnt.
- Review and practice of new techniques in a simulated full body practice
- Pregnancy Massage Clinic: You will apply a full body pregnancy massage to a pregnant woman under supervision and receive invaluable feedback of your treatment
- You will also review ‘Partner Training & Massage for Labour’ by viewing a birth DVD.
- We will discuss the high risk conditions unique to early postpartum.
- When you can and can’t massage in the postpartum